List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:August 29 1999 4:20am
Subject:Re: install help
View as plain text
At 21:59, 19990828, destiney wrote:
>I am having problems getting the mysql daemon to start on my FreeBSD
>server.  I got myself the latest stable tarball and tried to get it
>running.  The configure, make, and make install went flawless.  I used
>this:
>
>./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
>make
>make install
>
>This is a new install so I ran mysql_install_db as instructed in the
>docs.  I got errors:
>
>Warning: setrlimit returned OK, but did not change limits Max open files
>is 360
>Warning: Changed Limits: Max Connections 70, table cache 70

What version of FreeBSD are you running?  Please respond to this and
include the output of the 'mysqlbug' program.  If you can't get
'mysqlbug' to work, at least send the output of 'uname -a'.

You might want to try this configure line:

CC=gcc CXX=gcc CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe" CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -felide-constructors -fno-rtti
-fno-exceptions" ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql

Make sure you're using sh or bash as your shell before doing that.  Those
options are to work around bugs in the C++ compiler, and for optimization.

If you're using FreeBSD 2.8 or later, you should also be using native
kernel threads instead of the MIT-threads package that comes with MySQL.
(Also, if you're not using FreeBSD 3.2, it's worth upgrading.)  To use
kernel threads, add this option to the above configure line:

--with-named-thread-libs=-lc_r

>So I went ahead and tried to start it up anyway.  When I run
>./safe_mysqld & I get a screen full of lines that look like this:
>

>mysqld restarted on Sat Aug 28 22:50:30 EDT 1999
>mysqld restarted on Sat Aug 28 22:50:30 EDT 1999
>mysqld restarted on Sat Aug 28 22:50:30 EDT 1999
>mysqld restarted on Sat Aug 28 22:50:31 EDT 1999
>
>They are just maddly scrolling up my terminal screen like it's starting,
>stopping and restarting continuously.  I can't even hit Ctrl-X to stop
>it.  But before I actually closed that terminal, I opened another and
>logged in to see if the daemon was actually running.  Using netstat -a,
>I can see it is not running but the other terminal window is still madly
>scrolling nonetheless.  To stop whatever it is that is running I have to
>close my x-terminal.

The 'safe_mysqld' script restarts the MySQL daemon any time it dies.  What
is happening to you is your daemon is crashing as soon as it starts up,
and then safe_mysqld is starting it right back up again.  So you could
stop this process by killing the safe_mysqld program, which is probably
being run as the 'root' user.

>I have been successfully using msql on my server for a while now, but am
>totally stumped on what the problem is with this mad daemon....
>
>Any clues?  Anyone...?

You might be able to tell something about why MySQL is crashing from
looking at the error log, at /usr/local/mysql/var/`hostname`.err.  If
you can't solve the problem by following the steps I've outlined, then
please send another report with as much information as you can give us
about your environment.

Tim
Thread
install helpdestiney29 Aug