List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:August 28 1999 10:35pm
Subject:Extended ASCII in INSERT statements.
View as plain text
>>>>> "Steven" == Steven Fletcher <flec@stripped> writes:

Steven> Hi all;
Steven> I've been using the C API's for version 3.22.24 to take channel
Steven> information from the Magick IRC services db's for a medium-size IRC
Steven> network I help out on.

Steven> This has involved quite a bit of error checking, using
Steven> mysql_escape_string() and such stuff.

Steven> However, I've entountered a wierd problem. One user has both the
Steven> channels #oméga and #omega registered (note the different 'e'). When
Steven> running the command that inserts the channel information, I see in the
Steven> SQL log:

>> 1 Query      INSERT INTO chan (channel,founder,registered,topic,password)
> VALUES("#omega","DaMiEn667","52 days, 12:29:05","There comes a time in everyones life when
> they must face up to tha crips and bloods and snap their fingers .... watching the crips
> and bloods turn to crip and blood.. *snap* ","*")
>> 1 Query      INSERT INTO chan (channel,founder,registered,topic,password)
> VALUES("#oméga","DaMiEn667","6 hours, 0 minutes, 26 seconds","There comes a time in
> everyones life when they must face up to tha crips and bloods and snap their fingers ....
> watching the crips and bloods turn to crip and blood.. *snap*","*")
>> 1 Query      INSERT INTO chan (channel,founder,topic,registered,password)
> VALUES('#oméga','DaMiEn667','6 hours, 0 minutes, 26 seconds","There comes a time in
> everyones life when they must face up to tha crips and bloods and snap their fingers ....
> watching the crips and bloods turn to crip and blood.. *snap*','*')
>> 1 Query      INSERT INTO chan (channel,topic,founder,registered,password)
> VALUES('#oméga','This channel topic could not be inserted into the
> database.','DaMiEn667','6 hours, 0 minutes, 26 seconds','*')

Steven> Basically each one of those is each failsafe mechanism within the code -
Steven> the first one is #omega, the second one is the start of insert string
Steven> for #oméga which fails, fails, fails, and the last one prints an error
Steven> to my screen:

Steven> FATAL: Duplicate entry '#oméga' for key 1

Steven> Is this a bug, or something I've done wrong that can be fixed?

Steven> Thanks a bunch;

Steven> Steven Fletcher - steven@stripped / flec@stripped
Steven>        Shellnet - http://www.shellnet.com

Hi!

MySQL uses by default a character set where 'é' and 'e' are the
same. If you don't want this, declare your column as 'BINARY' or
compile MySQL with another character set!

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Extended ASCII in INSERT statements.(Steven Fletcher)28 Aug
  • Extended ASCII in INSERT statements.Michael Widenius29 Aug
    • Re: Extended ASCII in INSERT statements.(Steven Fletcher)29 Aug
      • Re: Extended ASCII in INSERT statements.Michael Widenius29 Aug
  • Re: Extended ASCII in INSERT statements.Jim Faucette29 Aug