List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Gerald Clark Date:August 1 2002 8:44pm
Subject:Re: maximum number of columns & max row size
View as plain text

Michael Zelina wrote:

> This is an interesting idea...  I thought about doing this,
> but the variety of data types prohibited me from doing so.
> Initially, I was going to make everything VARCHAR(80)...  but
> that seemed to be horrible for data storage purposes and would
> prevent me from being able to use SQL functions for numeric
> items without converting the items first.

The data conversions are automatic in the server.
"abcd" +  0 is 0
"1234" + 1 is 1235

Use the data type field to select the correct input validation routine, but
store everything as a varchar.  You can then make up your own datatypes,
like "state" or "city", or "phone".

Perl is typeless anyway. If you do math it is a number.
If you concat two variables, then they are strings.
This works very well.

Thread
MySQL hardware concernsJeremy Hiatt30 Jul
  • Re: MySQL hardware concernsJeremy Zawodny30 Jul
Re: MySQL hardware concernsJeremy Hiatt30 Jul
  • RE: MySQL hardware concernsAdam Nelson30 Jul
    • RE: MySQL hardware concernsEric Anderson30 Jul
      • RE: MySQL hardware concernsAdam Nelson30 Jul
      • maximum number of columns & max row sizeMichael Zelina1 Aug
        • Re: maximum number of columns & max row sizeBrent Baisley1 Aug
          • Re: maximum number of columns & max row sizeMichael Zelina1 Aug
            • Re: maximum number of columns & max row sizeBrent Baisley1 Aug
              • Re: maximum number of columns & max row sizeMichael Zelina1 Aug
            • RE: maximum number of columns & max row sizeJames Ching1 Aug
              • Re: maximum number of columns & max row sizeMichael Zelina2 Aug
              • Re: maximum number of columns & max row sizeGerald Clark2 Aug