List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ed Carp Date:July 31 2002 2:44pm
Subject:RE: Backup automation..
View as plain text
> >> On windows you could simply copy the entire data directory with a
> >> Scheduled job. Copying the files should be all you need to do for
> windows.
> >> For a cleaner, and what most people would say is a better way you could
> >> schedule a batch file to run mysqldump that would dump the data and
> >> structure to a file.
> >> mysqldump info can be found at:
> >> http://www.mysql.com/doc/m/y/mysqldump.html
> >
> >I hope you're shutting down MySQL before you do this.  If yuo're not, your
> "backups" are probably worthless.

sql, query

> Shouldn't it be enough to lock the tables and FLUSH before doing the copy?
> I want to keep read access while doing the backup, and let writes queue
> (i.e. writers will find the database a bit soggy during backups, but read
> work OK and INSERT DELAYED will just be delayed - I hope.

If you can guarantee that writes will not be propagated to the disk, you may be all right.
 You might want to test to make sure you
can ready your backups, though - just in case.

We use mysqldump here for backups - it's fast, gives us ASCII SQL files to look at if
something happens, and compresses well.  I'd
highly recommend using it as opposed to copying the actual disk files around.
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG          http://www.pobox.com/~erc               214/986-5870
Director, Software Development

Thread
Backup automation..Nixarlidis Aris31 Jul
  • Re: Backup automation..Gerald R. Jensen1 Aug
Re: Backup automation..Nicholas Stuart31 Jul
  • RE: Backup automation..Ed Carp31 Jul
RE: Backup automation..Alec.Cawley31 Jul
  • Re: Backup automation..Harald Fuchs31 Jul
RE: Backup automation..Ed Carp31 Jul
  • Re: Backup automation..Batara Kesuma1 Aug
RE: Backup automation..Nicholas Stuart31 Jul
  • Re: Backup automation..Mark Stringham31 Jul
RE: Backup automation..Steve Orr31 Jul
RE: Backup automation..Alec.Cawley2 Aug