List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:July 30 2002 6:26pm
Subject:Re: change MySQL dir
View as plain text
At 13:45 -0400 7/30/02, Rahadul Kabir wrote:
>hi all,
>         I'm running mysql 3.22 on my RaQ2 system.  mysql was installed
>and configured on /var dir. but now that the databases are growing
>system is running out of disk space. So I decided to change the
>datadir=/home/mysql
>then I tried to move the mysql databases using following command being a
>
>root
>mv /var/lib/mysql/* /home/mysql/ -R
>
>but I get the following messages
>[root admin]# mv /var/lib/mysql/* /home/mysql/ -R
>mv: invalid option -- R
>Try `mv --help' for more information.

Not all versions of mv support -R (and normally it would go before your
pathnames, anyway).  If your cp supports -R, you could use that and then
delete the originals.  Or else you might try using tar in a pipeline:

cd /var/lib/mysql
tar cf - . | (cd /home/mysql; tar xf -)

>can someone please tell me what i'm doing wrong or provide me with a
>solution to this problem. oh and if I don't use the -R option then I get
>
>error as the files under /var/lib/mysql/ are not regular files.
>please help. thanks so much. sorry about my bad English.
>
>rahad

Thread
change MySQL dirRahadul Kabir30 Jul
  • Re: change MySQL dirPaul DuBois30 Jul