List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:July 28 2002 5:06am
Subject:Re: Set different sizes on a per-database level?
View as plain text
In the last episode (Jul 28), Bill Leonard said:
> I have been searching and searching, and maybe this is a 4.0 thing,
> but is there a way, on a case by case basis, to pre-define a size
> limit for a MySQL database? In other words, make one 50MB and the
> next one make 100MB on the same server?
>
> I've seen indications you can set the default size for all databases,
> but I want it on a case by case basis.

The only way to limit size is to set a quota on the filesystem holding
the tables.  If you chown each database to a different uid, but leave them
as group mysql, you should be able to assign per-user quotas for each
database.  This will only work if you don't allow the user to create
arbitrary tables, as their uid will be wrong.  FreeBSD has a special
'suiddir' mount flag, though, that will automatically chown new files
to the owner of the parent directory.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped