List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Gerald Clark Date:July 23 2002 7:16pm
Subject:Re: Very minor buglet
View as plain text

Alain Williams wrote:

>On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 11:59:43AM -0400, denonymous wrote:
>
>>From: "Gerald Clark" <gerald_clark@stripped>
>>
>>>Why do think this should not be an error?
>>>If you were writing a script, would you not want to know you had made
>>>the error?
>>>Just how many , or how severe should  errors be before you are notified?
>>>

>>The ability to run more than one query on one line is a feature, not a bug.
>>An empty semicolon is a badly-formed query. It's perfectly logical for the
>>interpreter to spot two semi-colons as a badly-formed query and call an
>>error for it.
>>
>>As far as a scripted environment goes...
>>
>>If you're referring to Perl or something similar, it's not a common
>>occurance to run more than one query in the same query() function;
>>therefore, no semi-colon is required by the coder, which voids the
>>possibility of accidentally adding a second semi-colon.

We are not talking about perl here.

We are discussing the 'mysql' client which is often used to write
scripts that run under the
UNIX shell.

>I quite agree that to have more than one command on a line is a nice thing.
>
>What I am saying is that barfing on an empty command is not the right thing to do.
>I remember, many years ago, I wrote some coding standards where I said:
>
>	Every program/function should do nothing correctly.
>
>(think about it before replying).

If you write a script that has two semi-colons in a row,  the second one
is ignored and no error message is given.

Thread
Very minor bugletAlain Williams23 Jul
  • RE: Very minor bugletJay Blanchard23 Jul
    • Re: Very minor bugletAlain Williams23 Jul
  • Re: Very minor bugletGerald Clark23 Jul
  • Re: Very minor bugletdenonymous23 Jul
    • Re: Very minor bugletAlain Williams23 Jul
      • RE: Very minor buglet [Now OT]Jay Blanchard23 Jul
      • Re: Very minor bugletBenjamin Pflugmann23 Jul
        • RE: Very minor bugletCal Evans24 Jul
  • Re: Very minor bugletGerald Clark23 Jul
    • Re: Very minor bugletPete French24 Jul
      • Re: Very minor bugletGerald Clark24 Jul