List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jan Peuker Date:July 22 2002 5:53pm
Subject:Re: Surrounding Rows
View as plain text
Hi,

sorry for my bad earlier explanation.
What I want to do is, select the 10(say, a value) nearest values to a given
number. The easiest way would be "near 5" shows 1..10. The problem is, the
number should affect rows, not values, because values are not unique nor in
order. What I want to do is a query like "SELECT code FROM zip WHERE
zip=12345 SURROUND 5,5" or "SURROUND 10". At the moment, I create a new
table w/ an autoincrement and do a select...insert, then I select first the
id and then id-5 and id+5. This a a) very slow and redundant b) afaik not
very safe.
Thanks a lot,

jan