List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris Trown Date:March 29 1999 5:26pm
Subject:Re: MySQL and HPUX
View as plain text
On Mon, Mar 29, 1999 at 02:52:32PM +0300, Michael Widenius scribbled:
> writes:
>
> Chris>      Ahhhh....  Success.
>
> Chris>      Some of you may remember that I have been grappling with trying to
> get
> Chris> HPUX, MySQL and Perl MySQL modules to co-oexist together.  With some help
> from
> Chris> the egcs mailing list, I got it.
>
> Chris>      I ended up having to rebuild the libmysqlclient.sl library by hand
> using
> Chris> gcc instead of ld.
>
> Chris>      The command line looked something like:
>
> Chris> gcc -shared -fPIC -o .libs/libmysqlclient.sl.6.0 Lotsa binaries here
>
> Chris>      With egcs and older versions of gcc, necessary routines from libgcc.a
> are
> Chris> copied to the final library when using gcc instead of ld.  From Jeffrey A
> Law
> Chris> (law@stripped):
>
> >> When you build a shared library routines like __udivdi3 from libgcc.a
> should
> >> have been copied into the library.
>
> Chris>      Monty, was ld always used?  I seem to remember not having this
> trouble
> Chris> with older 3.22.XX versions.
>
> A while ago we switched to use libtool and libtool does some strange
> things.

     I'm glad to see that my sanity is intact.  I knew that this used to work.
:)

> You may be able to tell libtool to use gcc instead of ld, but I
> don't know how to tell it to do this.

     Ah!  It's not something that you wrote.

> the --disable-shared option may help you solve your problem...

     Well, the problem is fixed for now.  The work-around is easy, so I'll
stick to shared libs for now.

> Chris>      Is there some way we can get this incorporated into the distro?  Not
> that
> Chris> it's a big deal, now that I know the solution.
>
> I would really like to fix this, but I don't know where to fix this in
> libtool.  Could you please mail the libtool maintainer about this.  If
> you don't get any answers, I shall try to find time to look into
> patching libtool myself...

     When I get a chance, I'll dive into this thing and see what I can figure
out.  I need to finish a couple of other pressing projects first.

Chris...

--
What's the point?

An NT server can be run by an idiot, and usually is.
PGP fingerprint: 063FCE320681C336  78C164FC9B2F91EA
Thread
MySQL and HPUXChris Trown29 Mar
  • MySQL and HPUXMichael Widenius29 Mar
    • Re: MySQL and HPUXChris Trown29 Mar