List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:J Yunke Date:March 29 1999 2:19pm
Subject:Re: Support for IP Range/Netmask? (fwd)
View as plain text
> Sorry, no.
>
> You can on the other hand probably create a separate internal domain
> for each subnet and mask on this name...

From my perspective, it's not good to force someone to use DNS to
establish better security to a server.  The key is, on most systems using
TCP/IP, it is possible to set up controls at the bitmask level.  In your
solution, if a DNS server went down, the database would choke.  That would
be bad, and in some cases, not uncommon.

If mySQL doesn't implement such a feature, then it will not be flexible
enough for all networks, and it will not be "complete" as far as TCP/IP is
concerned.  Considering it's only a few lines of code to implement (since
slashes are not valid in domain names, so are available for ip addrs), I'd
strongly recommend adding it to the product.

/J

--

Justin Yunke                         + yunke@stripped
PC/Unix Network Administrator        + http://www.productivity.org/

Thread
Support for IP Range/Netmask? (fwd)J Yunke29 Mar
  • mysql:RE Support for IP Range/Netmask? (fwd)Paul Schwarzl29 Mar
  • Support for IP Range/Netmask? (fwd)Michael Widenius29 Mar
    • Re: Support for IP Range/Netmask? (fwd)J Yunke29 Mar
Re: Support for IP Range/Netmask? (fwd)Derick H Siddoway31 Mar
Re: Support for IP Range/Netmask? (fwd)Thimble Smith31 Mar