List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:John Banks Date:March 29 1999 1:02pm
Subject:Re: Experiences with mysql on Alpha Linux
View as plain text
Michael Widenius wrote:

> John> Hi,
> John>   Does anyone on this list have an experiences (good or bad) with using
> John> mysql in a production environment on the Linux Alpha platform?
> John>   We're currently moving servers over from FreeBSD/Intel and are having
> John> a few problems with mysql hanging intermittently. I'm currently going
> John> through upgrading kernel, egcs, glibc, linuxthreads & everthing else I
> John> can think of to try and sort this...
>
> John>          Thanks,
> John>            John
>
> John> --
> John> ========     John Banks    -    john@stripped     ========
>
> Hi!
>
> The two problems on Linux-Alpha have been Linuxthreads and the
> gcc 2.8.1 !
>
> If you have a new glibc and use the following configure line, then it
> should work:
>
> CFLAGS="-O6 -mpentium -fomit-frame-pointer" CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS="-O6
> -mpentium -fomit-frame-pointer -felide-constructors -fno-exceptions
> -fno-rtti" ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
> -with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static --disable-shared
>
> If not, please read the manual section 'Debugging mysql' to find out what
> could be wrong.
>
> Regards,
> Monty

Hi Monty,
   I tried this and I thought I had things fixed - I could run through
the benchmark tests OK, which were crashing before. However, the mysqld
daemon is still hanging after 12 hours or so of use. I tried turning on
--debug and it crashes immediately with the following message in the
error log!

mysqld started on  Mon Mar 29 13:34:48 BST 1999
Memory allocated at derror.cc:0 was underrun, discovered at derror.cc:72
Memory allocated at derror.cc:0 was overrun, discovered at
'derror.cc:72'
mysqld ended on  Mon Mar 29 13:34:48 BST 1999

here's the trace log....

no_name: info: /usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld  Ver 3.22.19b-debug-log
for unknown-linux-gnu on alphaev56

no_name: >unireg_init
no_name: | >calc_daynr
no_name: | | exit: year: 1999  month: 3  day: 29 -> daynr: 730207
no_name: | <calc_daynr
no_name: <unireg_init
no_name: >init_errmessage
no_name: | >read_texts

This is on a Redhat 5.2 Alpha system with 2.2.3 kernel + egcs-1.0.3 +
glibc-2.0.7-29 with your LinuxThreads patch. Any ideas on what's going
on here?

          Thanks,
             John

--