List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ed Carp Date:July 1 2002 3:28pm
Subject:RE: Speed issue
View as plain text
> So it may seem that on your machine, with both MySQL and Access loaded
> together Access runs ever so much faster. However, you are comparing single
> use Access to single use MySQL. (also, once mysql starts caching things, it
> gets faster. The more you use it, the faster it runs!) Also, once you get
> MySQL into it's native environment (server class machine or at least one
> where nothing else is going on) it will run like a screaming banshee.

I'll second that ;)  We use MySQL extensively here, and we also use Access for the small
stuff.  Occasionally we will build an
Access database, then link tables to MySQL via the MyODBC driver, then do database stuff
as usual with VB6.  Same with
proof-of-concept or demo stuff that we want to upscale quickly.

By the way, if you're going to use VB, I'd strongly suggest setting the dbSQLPassThru
option on your queries and such, it will speed
things up tremendously.  If you don't, VB will bring down the entire table or tables to
your desktop, then work on the data locally,
a HUGE waste of time and bandwidth.

You also don't have to use ADO if you don't want to - I use DAO and with passthru turned
on, it works just fine ;)
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG          http://www.pobox.com/~erc               214/986-5870
Director, Software Development