List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:June 28 2002 9:39pm
Subject:Re: Increasing number of open_files -- no takers on this one?
View as plain text
In the last episode (Jun 28), Sam Taylor said:
> hmmm, yes... I understand this point quit well...  what I was hoping
> to learn from the community is:
>
> why does mysql keep the file handles open?

To keep from having to re-open them the next time someone asks for data
from that table.

> can I do anything (configuration/crafting of SQL statements) that will
> prevent mysql from amassing such a large number of open file handles?

Are you getting errors from the kernel complaining it's running out of
file handles?  If not, then why in the world do you want to limit it?

> what is a reasonable/normal number of file handles for mysql to have
> open? For example, I have both linux and mysql configured to allow
> 64K max files, will this be sufficient?

If you have less than 30k tables or less than 12k simultaneous clients,
then it would probably be sufficient.

Please read the documentation url I pasted in the last message.  It
explains about the table cache and how it relates to the filehandles
mysql opens.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped