List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sam Taylor Date:June 28 2002 9:00pm
Subject:RE: Increasing number of open_files -- no takers on this one?
View as plain text
hmmm, yes... I understand this point quit well...  what I was hoping to
learn from the community is:

why does mysql keep the file handles open?

can I do anything (configuration/crafting of SQL statements) that will
prevent mysql from amassing such a large number of open file handles?

what is a reasonable/normal number of file handles for mysql to have open?
For example, I have both linux and mysql configured to allow 64K max files,
will this be sufficient?

Please bear in mind that I realize that you don't know how I've coded my
application, you don't know about my server load, and you don't know about
the hundreds of other variables that could affect this situation...  I was
just hoping to get some general information from this group of experienced
mysql "gurus" that might help me avoid stepping in a huge pile of... well,
you know what I mean...

Sam