List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:June 28 2002 9:00pm
Subject:Re: Case Insensitivity of queries and record lookup
View as plain text
At 14:27 -0400 6/28/02, Mark Hennessy wrote:
>I have noticed after migrating my database from mSQL to MySQL that queries
>are providing lookup results in a case-insensitive manner.
>
>An example (in mSQL):
>
>SELECT * FROM custiebase WHERE my_id = "FOO001"\g
>would return the record for FOO001.
>
>SELECT * FROM custiebase WHERE my_id = "foo001"\g
>would return that the record couldn't be found
>
>Same example (in MySQL):
>
>SELECT * FROM custiebase WHERE my_id = "FOO001";
>would return the record for FOO001.
>
>SELECT * FROM custiebase WHERE my_id = "foo001";
>would return the record for FOO001.
>
>=
>
>Why is this?  Is there a way that I can return to the case-sensitive
>behavior that had existed with my mSQL db with MySQL?

If your columns are CHAR or VARCHAR, convert them to CHAR BINARY
or VARCHAR BINARY.  If they are TEXT, convert them to BLOB.

>--
>  Mark P. Hennessy					      mark@stripped

Thread
Case Insensitivity of queries and record lookupMark Hennessy28 Jun
  • Re: Case Insensitivity of queries and record lookupPaul DuBois28 Jun
  • Re: Case Insensitivity of queries and record lookupKeith C. Ivey28 Jun
    • Re: Case Insensitivity of queries and record lookupAlexander Barkov1 Jul