List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sam Taylor Date:June 28 2002 6:36pm
Subject:Increasing number of open_files -- no takers on this one?
View as plain text
Greetings All --

I sent this message to the list a couple of days ago... didn't receive any
comments/feedback/suggestions...

if no one knows the answer, can anyone throw me a lifeline and give me a
suggestion as to how I can go about diagnosing the situation, or at least
share some of your own experiences (is what I'm seeing normal for MySQL??)

Thanks for your assistance,

Sam

---------------

RedHat 7.1
MySQL Version 3.23.42

Couple of questions about MySQL and the "open_files" stat as reported by
"mysqladmin extended-status".

I've changed my configuration (both MySQL and Linux) to increase the max
number of open files -- I don't have a problem here. But, I do see that the
"open_files" stat returned from "mysqladmin extended-status" continues to
grow...

Can anyone tell me what operations cause MySQL to open files (and keep them
open)?

I'm running a Java (JSP/Servlets/mmJDBC) web application that is using
MySQL, and over the course of a few days I see the number of open files
increasing... after 4 days of usage the number was at 17,000+.  What is
typical for MySQL?  What are other people seeing for "open_files"?

Can anyone recommend a diagnostic technique that I can use to determine why
I'm keeping so many files open?

I'm not hitting any boundary conditions at this point, but it seems to me
that I could, and I'd like to understand the situation a little better
before I have a crisis.

Thread
Increasing number of open_files -- no takers on this one?Sam Taylor28 Jun
  • Re: Increasing number of open_files -- no takers on this one?Dan Nelson28 Jun
    • RE: Increasing number of open_files -- no takers on this one?Sam Taylor28 Jun
      • Re: Increasing number of open_files -- no takers on this one?Dan Nelson28 Jun