List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:June 25 2002 2:55am
Subject:Re: Inserting images (not the location of the images)
View as plain text
At 18:36 -0700 6/24/02, Emma Grant wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>        First of all I want to thank you all for all the help that
>you have given me throughout the last week.
>
>        I have learnt a great deal, and through your help and the
>resources on the interenet I have successfully been able to create
>and connect to a database through MySQL on Linux. Create a user for
>that database. Inserted and updated values on the command line, and
>I have learnt to insert, update and view the data from the database
>through web form using CGI. (Thanks to those who taught me how to
>check for errors in my scripts)
>
>Just to think, I didn’Äôt even know how to access MySQL last Thursday
> ’ò†
>
>But as you expected, here comes my question;
>
>I need to be able to insert images into the database through a FILE
>FIELD on a web form. I have already tried this through a simple form
>that I created, but it only inserts the actual location (eg
>C:Documents and SettingsAdministratorDesktoppersonal.jpg) of the
>file that I am browsing for on my computer. Is there some sort of
>syntax that I have to use that converts the image to binary as it
>gets ’Äúinserted’Äù into the database, and then can be read
> by any
>program (ie, web browsers) as an image when I select it again from
>the database through a SELECT query?

This really can't be answered without more context.  You'll do this with
some kind of web script, but what scripting language are you using?

>Why would I do this you ask? (read on if you are interested) ’ò†
>
>I know that many of you are about to tell me to store the images on
>my server, and reference the location from my database field. As I
>have read many times throughout my research. But I want the ability
>for the user to choose the images they want in a database from the
>form field. I don’Äôt want them to have to use a FTP program to
>upload images, and then insert the image location. I want it to be a
>one-stop form. That is part of my project. So if anyone can help,
>that would be great.
>
>Emma

Thread
Inserting images (not the location of the images)Emma Grant25 Jun
  • Re: Inserting images (not the location of the images)Paul DuBois25 Jun
  • Re: Inserting images (not the location of the images)Keith C. Ivey25 Jun
  • Re: Inserting images (not the location of the images)Neil Freeman25 Jun
  • Re: Inserting images (not the location of the images)Eric L. Howard25 Jun
  • Re: Inserting images (not the location of the images)Galen Wright-Watson25 Jun
Re: Inserting images (not the location of the images)Eric L. Howard26 Jun