List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Bill Ferrett Date:June 21 2002 2:41pm
Subject:auto_increment and clustering sequence
View as plain text
I would like to have a MySql table where each row has a unique id (using
auto-increment) but is clustered, i.e. physically stored, in a different
sequence, e.g. name.  This is so that an sql query to order by namew will be
quicker.

I don't want the auto-increment id to be duplicated - I believe this happens
when the auto_increment column is not the first column - so a multi-column index
of name,id seems to be out.

Can I do this and if so how?

Many thanks

--