List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Iago Sineiro Date:June 21 2002 8:31am
Subject:RE: Multi-threaded MySQL?
View as plain text
The Makefile of mysql server says about linuxthreads:

        @${ECHO} "      WITH_LINUXTHREADS=yes   Use the linuxthreads pthread
library."
        @${ECHO} "                              This is _NOT_ recommended
for production"
        @${ECHO} "                              servers. Expect problems
when enabled."

Iago.

In the last episode (Jun 19), Chris Johnson said:
> I'm using 3.23.47 on a FreeBSD 4.5 server with two CPUs.  I believe I've
got
> MySQL configured appropriately to take advantage of this configuration,
but
> it appears that it only ever uses one CPU.  The other is always idle, or
> running the few remaining Unix processes when they want to do something.
>
> I've got these lines in my /etc/my.cnf file, for example:
>
> set-variable    = thread_cache=8
> # Try number of CPU's*2 for thread_concurrency
> set-variable    = thread_concurrency=4
>
> Is MySQL unable to use extra CPUs beyond one, am I just confused, or is
> something misconfigured?

FreeBSD's threads library implements threads as a single process, so it
will never use more than one CPU.  If you built using the ports tree,
try rebuilding with WITH_LINUXTHREADS=yes, which will use the Linux
threads model (one process per thread).

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped

Separate List For administrationNilesh Shah19 Jun
  • Multi-threaded MySQL?Chris Johnson20 Jun
    • Re: Multi-threaded MySQL?Dan Nelson20 Jun
      • Re: Multi-threaded MySQL?Clay Loveless20 Jun
      • RE: Multi-threaded MySQL?Iago Sineiro21 Jun
  • Re: Separate List For administrationGelu Gogancea20 Jun
  • Re: Separate List For administrationBrian Reichert20 Jun
RE: Separate List For administrationDana Diederich19 Jun
RE: Separate List For administrationDon Vu20 Jun