List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Clay Loveless Date:June 19 2002 11:24pm
Subject:Re: Multi-threaded MySQL?
View as plain text
This is really interesting ... I'm running MySQL on a dual-processor G4
Power Mac under Mac OS X Server. Does anyone know how to determine if MySQL
is using both processors in that sort of setup?

-Clay

> From: Dan Nelson <dnelson@stripped>
> Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 18:08:11 -0500
> To: Chris Johnson <chris@stripped>
> Cc: mysql@stripped
> Subject: Re: Multi-threaded MySQL?
>
> In the last episode (Jun 19), Chris Johnson said:
>> I'm using 3.23.47 on a FreeBSD 4.5 server with two CPUs.  I believe I've got
>> MySQL configured appropriately to take advantage of this configuration, but
>> it appears that it only ever uses one CPU.  The other is always idle, or
>> running the few remaining Unix processes when they want to do something.
>>
>> I've got these lines in my /etc/my.cnf file, for example:
>>
>> set-variable    = thread_cache=8
>> # Try number of CPU's*2 for thread_concurrency
>> set-variable    = thread_concurrency=4
>>
>> Is MySQL unable to use extra CPUs beyond one, am I just confused, or is
>> something misconfigured?
>
> FreeBSD's threads library implements threads as a single process, so it
> will never use more than one CPU.  If you built using the ports tree,
> try rebuilding with WITH_LINUXTHREADS=yes, which will use the Linux
> threads model (one process per thread).
>
> --
> Dan Nelson
> dnelson@stripped

Separate List For administrationNilesh Shah19 Jun
  • Multi-threaded MySQL?Chris Johnson20 Jun
    • Re: Multi-threaded MySQL?Dan Nelson20 Jun
      • Re: Multi-threaded MySQL?Clay Loveless20 Jun
      • RE: Multi-threaded MySQL?Iago Sineiro21 Jun
  • Re: Separate List For administrationGelu Gogancea20 Jun
  • Re: Separate List For administrationBrian Reichert20 Jun
RE: Separate List For administrationDana Diederich19 Jun
RE: Separate List For administrationDon Vu20 Jun