List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dr. Frank Ullrich Date:June 19 2002 8:15am
Subject:Re: Don't even know where to start on this one
View as plain text
Chris,
look at your queries, EXPLAIN your queries! SHOW PROCESSLIST during peak
mysql activities.

15 connections? Sometimes you can bring a server down by means of a
single bad SQL statement!

Regards,
           Frank.

Chris Knipe wrote:

> Lo all,
>
> I don't know if this can be reproduced, whether it's just general coding
> errors, or whether it's simply a Windows thing.... But I do my development
> on a NT 4.0 system, and I've been starting to notice rather weird things....
>
> I use various languages (Perl, PHP, Delphi, C, etc), all of which access a
> single database (various tables) on my MySQL server (3.23.49-max).  The
> database currently holds about 60 odd tables, with a total of over 2 million
> records. A additional table I use for testing, has one table with over 23
> million records in it (255x255x255x255 records).
>
> My PHP code also use persistent connections, and I don't think this is the
> problem, but basically, how more queries I throw at MySQL how more my PC
> crawls down to a halt - even after the application with the queries
> disconnected from the database.  I can understand that my system may take
> some sever stress when I work with a table with 23 million odd records in
> it, but why would my system still remain in a state of slowness?  At any
> time, I normally don't have more than 15 concurrent connections to MySQL,
> and most of them are normally in a idle state in any case.
>
> I am 100% sure it is MySQL that is slowing my system down.  When things
> start to become really irritating (i.e. I wait like over 5 seconds for my
> start menu to show up), I simply stop and restart the MySQL server, and all
> of a sudden, my system is fine again.  I'll need to track the cause of this
> before I can use all my sites and data in any live environment first... But
> I don't have a *clue* where to start looking....
>
> Can anyone perhaps give me some insight or advice on this rather weird
> behaviour??
>
> --
> me

Dr. Frank Ullrich, Netzwerkadministration
Heise Zeitschriften Verlag GmbH & Co KG, Helstorfer Str. 7, D-30625
Hannover
E-Mail: ful@stripped
Phone: +49 511 5352 587; FAX: +49 511 5352 538
Thread
Don't even know where to start on this oneChris Knipe19 Jun
  • Re: Don't even know where to start on this oneDan Nelson19 Jun
  • Re: Don't even know where to start on this oneChris Knipe19 Jun
    • Re: Don't even know where to start on this oneDan Nelson19 Jun
  • Re: Don't even know where to start on this oneDr. Frank Ullrich19 Jun
  • Re: Don't even know where to start on this oneJeff Kilbride19 Jun
  • Re: Don't even know where to start on this oneEivind A. Sivertsen19 Jun
RE: Don't even know where to start on this oneSimon Green19 Jun