List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ed Carp Date:March 29 1999 5:51am
Subject:Re: Question about query
View as plain text
>I have a query like
>select id from atable where truncate(c1/1000000) = 321
>
>I learned that following query has the same function
>select id from atable where c1 like '321______'
>
>I'd like to know which is faster. Or anyone know how to do integer division
>in MySQL faster.
>
>And if I make a index on c1 or a index on c1/1000000, which index will
>increase the query speed, or none index is helpful.

I hate to be a curmudgeon (again) but wouldn't it be easier and faster to
test it on your own machine than posting to a mailing list and essentially
asking someone else to do your work for you?

Indexing a field is generally always faster, but this depends on your
application.  Again, test it on your own machine with a big recordset and
time it to see which is faster.

Thread
Question about queryJin Hui29 Mar
Re: Question about queryEd Carp29 Mar
RE: Question about queryJin Hui29 Mar
  • RE: Question about queryMichael Widenius29 Mar