List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Gerald Clark Date:June 11 2002 7:41pm
Subject:Re: mysql auto_increment question
View as plain text

Taylor Lewick wrote:

>Hi all. I have searched the documentation, and i found some info, but I wanted to ask
> the lsit a little more about auto_increment.
>
>First, if I use auto_increment, and then delete a field, I assume mysql leaves the
> remaining fields with the original numbers...
>i.e. if I haverows 1 through 10 and delete row 1, the other rows are still 2-9. Is
> this correct.

Yes.

> If I want to insert something with a value of 1, is that easy to do?

You would have to supply the id in the insert statement.
Why would you want to?

>What if I decide to reorganize the rows. Must I drop them and repopulate, or can I
> just shuffle them to the order I want?

There is no organization to the rows unless your query has an ORDER clause.

>Finally, do most of you findauto-increment to be pretty useful or more restrictive, or
> both, useful but restrictive?

Very useful. Every table I generate has a _rec and a _timestamp column.
I just leave them alone.
I use the _rec to specify a single record to update, and prove to my
clients when they did something they claim they didn't
do by showing them the _timestamp.

Thread
mysql auto_increment questionTaylor Lewick11 Jun
  • Re: mysql auto_increment questionGerald Clark11 Jun