List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:June 11 2002 2:30pm
Subject:Re: problem with mysql threads on freebsd
View as plain text
In the last episode (Jun 11), Leo De Geer said:
> im not abel to get mysql to use more then one thread on my freebsd
> 4.5-stable any one having a klue that wrong?????

Do not assume that the way Linux manages threads is the only one.
Mysql on FreeBSD does create threads; they are just not visible via top
(in fact Linux is the only OS that shows threads in top).  FreeBSD's
threads system, however will not put those threads on multiple CPUs.
You can work around this by building the mysql port with LinuxThreads:

cd /usr/ports/databases/mysql323-server
make WITH_LINUXTHREADS=yes

This is only useful if your system is dedicated to mysql, though.  If
it is a combination webserver/database, the other CPU will be busy
enough serving webpages, and FreeBSD's regular threads will do fine.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped
        • Re: problem with mysql threads on freebsdLeo De Geer11 Jun
          • Re: problem with mysql threads on freebsdAlexander V Zubchenko11 Jun
            • Re: problem with mysql threads on freebsdLeo De Geer11 Jun
          • Re: problem with mysql threads on freebsdErv Young11 Jun
    • Re: problem with mysql threads on freebsdLeo De Geer11 Jun
  • Re: problem with mysql threads on freebsdDan Nelson11 Jun
    • Re: problem with mysql threads on freebsdPatrick Hsieh11 Jun
    • Re: problem with mysql threads on freebsdLeo De Geer11 Jun
RE: problem with mysql threads on freebsdSimon Green11 Jun