List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Benjamin Pflugmann Date:June 5 2002 9:56pm
Subject:Re: Max Number of Rows
View as plain text
Hi.

On Wed 2002-06-05 at 14:21:03 -0500, dnelson@stripped wrote:
> In the last episode (Jun 05), Pooja Daryani said:
>
> > > I need to know how many rows are supported in mysql db.
>
> If there is a limit, it's probably 4294967296 rows.  But you'll
> never get that many in a table anyway.

:-)

Due to interest I tried to look it up in the manual and did not found
such a number, until it occured to me, that regarding the underlying
structure of the database files, there is probably no row limit, but
only a file size limit (by data pointer size).

So the number of rows would be MAXSIZE / average_row_length and that
is quite a lot (as the newer versions support 64Bit pointers).

Bye,

	Benjamin.

--
benjamin-mysql@stripped