List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Yegor Bryukhov Date:May 31 2002 8:04pm
Subject:Re: HELP: MySQL Dynamic Structure
View as plain text
>         MySQL alone cannot represent a complex data-structure.

not true at all, it's just not object oriented but don't you know that
there is still no good (consistent and "complete") theoretical model for
OO-DBMS. Relational Model _has_ good underlying theory and I think this
is the main reason of worlwide success of RDBMS.

>         Re-modeling of MySQL data is required in Perl, PHP, Java,
>         etc.

This is called semantical impedance and best minds of mankind found no
solution yet.

>      *  MySQL needs to have the ability to add properties to
>         columns and tables.
>

>         If I change one column, add one field, play with one
>         table... I have to go into all of that code in all of
>         those languages and mess with either how the front-ends
>         and/or how the back-ends are interpreting the
>         data-schema.

1.When you change semantics of one part of a system you have to reflect
it in all other parts of the system. I'm afraid there could be no
automation for most general kind of semantical modifications.

2.The more flexibility and dynamic behaviour (of the system) you want
the more overhead you'll get (in general).

--
Best regards,
Yegor

Thread
HELP: MySQL Dynamic StructureRyan Hatch31 May
  • Re: HELP: MySQL Dynamic StructureMichael Bacarella31 May
  • RE: HELP: MySQL Dynamic Structure (long)Jay Blanchard31 May
  • Re: HELP: MySQL Dynamic StructureBrent Baisley31 May
  • Re: HELP: MySQL Dynamic StructureYegor Bryukhov31 May