List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:May 20 2002 5:20am
Subject:Re: [7241] Indexes on columns that are declared differently?
View as plain text
In the last episode (May 20), Stephen Brownlow said:
> The MySQL online manual says that MySQL cannot use indexes
> efficiently unless the columns have the same type and the same
> length.
>
> I can see no release notes that this problem has been fixed.
>
> My question: Is this still a problem?

Probably.  I doubt anyone's even trying to fix it, since a field-length
mismatch between related fields means that one or the other fields has
the wrong length.  You'll never get a 20-character string to match if
the other table's field definition is char(10); either make both 10, or
both 20 :)

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped