List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:May 14 2002 2:06pm
Subject:Re: Encrypting with PASSWORD() function
View as plain text
At 10:59 -0300 5/14/02, Walter D. Funk wrote:
>  I am trying Mysql Password() function, to encrypt password in a a
>  it works fine both ways; it is to say, when I submit a login
>combination it fetches the pair ok.
>  My question is, as I read in the documentation, that the process is
>irreversible, how can I deal with the fact
>  that a user can forget his password, if I will not be able to retrieve the
>  original string, because what i can see is the encrypted data

That is correct.  PASSWORD() (and ENCRYPT()) perform non-reversible

>  is there a workaround to deal with this, either than storing in a separeted
>  table the original password string (not encrypted), or shall i simply not
>  use this function ?
>  thanks in advance to any suggestion

You can use ENCODE() and DECODE() to perform reversible encryption.
As of MySQL 4.0.0, if the server is compiled with SSL support, you can
Encrypting with PASSWORD() functionWalter D. Funk14 May
  • Re: Encrypting with PASSWORD() functionSherzod B. Ruzmetov14 May
  • Re: Encrypting with PASSWORD() functionLuciano Barcaro14 May
  • Re: Encrypting with PASSWORD() functionPaul DuBois14 May
  • RE: Encrypting with PASSWORD() functionRoger Baklund14 May
  • Re: Encrypting with PASSWORD() functionVictoria Reznichenko14 May
    • RE: Encrypting with PASSWORD() functionadam nelson15 May