List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:May 13 2002 10:02pm
Subject:Re: AUTO_INCREMENT= ?
View as plain text
At 17:53 -0400 5/13/02, Amer Neely wrote:
>Paul DuBois wrote:
>  > >>  >>  AN> The values I'm inserting for
>>  >>  >>  AN> UserID are all 'null' (without quotes).
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >>  How did you inserted values? Manually or from a file?
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  >As I indicated above, from a file.
>>  >>
>>  >>  Let's see a sample of the file.  Without that, we're just guessing.
>>  >>  mysql won't interpret INSERT statements differently in batch mode
>>  >>  than in interactive mode.
>>  >
>>  >Hmm. I'm not using INSERT, but LOAD DATA. Maybe that's the culprit?
>>
>>  Maybe.  In data files loaded with LOAD DATA, NULL values should be specified
>>  as \N, not as the word NULL.
>>  I'm not sure that that will make a difference, though. MySQL will see NULL,
>>  perform a string-to-number conversion and end up with a value of zero.
>>  And inserting 0 into an AUTO_INCREMENT column should be the same
>>as inserting
>>  NULL.  Still, it'd be worth a try to convert NULL to \N and see
>>what happens.
>>
>>  This might be interacting with another problem, which is that if your
>>  data file likes are CRLF terminated, *you need to say so*.  The default
>>  is LF-terminated, so your LOAD DATA statement needs to have a
>>
>>  LINES TERMINATED BY '\r\n'
>>
>>  clause at the end.
>
>Tried both suggestions - still getting 1..7 as UserID.

What does this statement show after creating the table, and after the
LOAD DATA statement:

SHOW TABLE STATUS LIKE 'yourtablename'\G
Thread
AUTO_INCREMENT= ?Amer Neely13 May
  • Re: AUTO_INCREMENT= ?Victoria Reznichenko13 May
Re: AUTO_INCREMENT= ?Amer Neely13 May
  • Re: AUTO_INCREMENT= ?Luciano Barcaro13 May
  • Re: AUTO_INCREMENT= ?Paul DuBois13 May
  • Re: AUTO_INCREMENT= ?Curtis Maurand13 May