List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:August 20 1999 8:12pm
Subject:Re: Installing MySQL
View as plain text
At 20:42, 19990820, Mattweb wrote:
>This all went fine with no errors but when I try to test the mysql
>server by typing
>mysqladmin version or mysql it returns -
>
>error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
>'/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)'

Matt, I think you just need to start the MySQL server.  mysql_install_db
doesn't leave mysqld running.

It's probably best for you to install the mysql.server script in the
appropriate place for your OS, and run it (as root).  For example, on
FreeBSD I do this:

    $ sudo cp mysql.server /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql.sh
    $ sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql.sh
    $ /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql.sh start

Once you run the script (with the 'start' argument), you'll see a message
saying that the server is started.

By the way, that "(2)" in the error message means something.  You can find
out what it means using the 'perror' command:

    $ perror 2
    No such file or directory

Tim
Thread
Installing MySQLMattweb20 Aug
  • Re: Installing MySQLThimble Smith20 Aug