List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:May 12 2002 12:39am
Subject:Re: AUTOCOMMIT and FLUSH?
View as plain text
At 2:16 +0200 5/12/02, Mark wrote:
>Hello folks,
>
>Could somebody please tell me what the effectual difference is between
>AUTOCOMMIT and FLUSH? The manual says, "By default, MySQL runs in autocommit
>mode. This means that as soon as you execute an update, MySQL will store the
>update on disk." Good. But what is left to flush then? INSERT DELAYED
>queries and the like? Or any other outstanding queries for that matter?

It depends on what you're flushing, but if you read the manual section on
the FLUSH statement, you'll see that it's unrelated to committing queries.

http://www.mysql.com/doc/F/L/FLUSH.html

Nor is FLUSH one of the statements that is listed as causing an implicit
COMMIT:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/C/O/COMMIT.html

>In concreto, if my news server to be (will use MySQL) is running idle, and
>for some bizarre reason mysqld should die, is there always data lost then? I
>mean, what would FLUSH do that the autocommit had not taken care of already?
>
>I am sorry to be such a pain. But I really like to have a fairly decent
>idea, upfront, about the risks I would run with corrupting the news spool,
>before I make the switch.
>
>- Mark

Thread
AUTOCOMMIT and FLUSH?Mark12 May
  • Re: AUTOCOMMIT and FLUSH?Paul DuBois12 May
  • Re: AUTOCOMMIT and FLUSH?Mark12 May