List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:May 11 2002 11:06pm
Subject:Re: [Newbie] Connecting for the first time
View as plain text
At 10:27 -0700 5/11/02, Todd Cary wrote:
>I have never opened or done anything with MySQL, so I am completely in the
>dark.  All I know is that phpinfo() tells me that MySQL is implemented on my
>Linux/Apache server.

All that it's really telling you is that MySQL *client* support is
enabled in your version of PHP.  That doesn't say anything about whether
or not the MySQL *server* is running.

You need to get ahold of the person responsible for MySQL on the machine
in question and ask them to create a MySQL account for you, and what
your MySQL user name and password are.  If you're the one responsible
for MySQL, you have a little work ahead of you, because you'll need to
ensure that the server is up and running.  I suggestion beginning with
the post-installation instructions in the MySQL manual or with a general
MySQL text.

>What is my first step to getting connected?  This does not work:
>
><?
>   $link = mysql_connect("http://209.204.172.137", "root", "");
>   if ($link) {
>     print("Connected<br>");
>   } else {
>     print("Cannot connect<br>");
>   }
>?>
><head>
><title>Connection form</title>
></head>
>   Trying to connect to a MySQL DB
>
>--
>Todd Cary
>Ariste Software
>2200 D Street Extension
>Petaluma, CA 94952
>707-773-4523
>todd@stripped

Thread
[Newbie] Connecting for the first timeTodd Cary11 May
  • Re: [Newbie] Connecting for the first timeMark11 May
  • Re: [Newbie] Connecting for the first timeTodd Cary11 May
  • Re: [Newbie] Connecting for the first timeMark11 May
  • Re: [Newbie] Connecting for the first timePaul DuBois12 May