List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:May 11 2002 4:07pm
Subject:Re: newbie question - what does test\_% mean
View as plain text
At 20:55 -0700 5/10/02, Frederick Shaul wrote:
>I understand what test% might mean, but don't know what test\_% means.

It's a SQL pattern string that matches a literal "test" followed by
a literal "_" followed by anything.  "_" in SQL patterns normally
matches any single character. "\_" escapes it to represent a literal
"_".  "%" is a SQL pattern character that matches any sequence of
characters, including the empty string.

>Following is from a fresh MySQL install ...
>
>mysql> use mysql;
>Reading table information for completion of table and column names
>You can turn off this feature to get a quicker startup with -A
>
>Database changed
>mysql> select * from db;
>+------+---------+------+-------------+-------------+-------------+-------------+-------------+-----------+------------+-----------------+------------+------------+
>| Host | Db      | User | Select_priv | Insert_priv | Update_priv |
>Delete_priv | Create_priv | Drop_priv | Grant_priv | References_priv
>| Index_priv | Alter_priv |
>+------+---------+------+-------------+-------------+-------------+-------------+-------------+-----------+------------+-----------------+------------+------------+
>| %    | test    |      | Y           | Y           | Y           |
>Y           | Y           | Y         | N          | Y
>| Y          | Y          |
>| %    | test\_% |      | Y           | Y           | Y           |
>Y           | Y           | Y         | N          | Y
>| Y          | Y          |
>2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Thread
newbie question - what does test\_% meanFrederick Shaul11 May
  • Re: newbie question - what does test\_% meanPaul DuBois11 May