List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mark Matthews Date:May 8 2002 2:08pm
Subject:Re: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?
View as plain text
MM.MySQL isn't that young (it's 4 years old this May!), and it has way
fewer problems than commercial JDBC drivers, so I don't know how much
more you can ask for.

If you've ever had a software theory class, it is basically impossible
to build software that doesn't have bugs, unless it's the kind of
software that falls into the "provable" category...Java, C/C++, etc.
don't lend themselves to "provable" solutions, so you will never have
bug-free software developed in those languages...Especially once you add
in the O/S, the language implementation, the library implementations,
the application implementations, etc.

As an aside, the JDK has hundreds if not thousands of bugs, but people
use it just fine. Your C/C++ compiler has 100's if not thousands of bugs
and you use it just fine. The operating system you run these tools on
most likely has 10's of thousands of bugs. Bug-free software in all but
special circumstances in the "real" world is a pipe dream. Producing
software that works well in 99.999% of the situations developers
encounter is possible, and that's about all most software can be
expected to do.

Software failing is something you need to count on as a developer, so
that you manage that risk. That's why you need to have error handling,
and input validation, and exception handling etc. Those mechanisms are
all made available to handle software and wetware (human) bugs.

Gelu wrote:

>Hi,
>I agree.
>But i make reference about how it is a software developer permissive to risk
>to have problems ?
>Regards,
>Gelu
>G.NET SOFTWARE COMPANY
>
>Permanent e-mail address : gg@stripped
>                                          gelugogancea@stripped

select largestlorin29 Mar
  • RE: select largestStefan Paletta29 Mar
    • Re: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?Joel Rees8 May
  • Re: select largestjkraai29 Mar
    • Re: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?Gelu7 May
    • Re: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?Mark Matthews7 May
    • Encrypted Way to connect to MysqlMarcel7 May
      • Re: Encrypted Way to connect to MysqlIgor Brynskich7 May
      • RE: Encrypted Way to connect to MysqlCal Evans8 May
  • Re: select largestSteve Edberg29 Mar
  • Re: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?Gelu7 May
  • Re: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?Mark Matthews7 May
  • Re: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?Gabriele Bartolini7 May
Re: select largestSteve Edberg29 Mar
RE: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?Paul Le7 May
Re: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?rup@bigpond.net.au8 May
Re: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?Gelu8 May
Re: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?Alec.Cawley8 May
Re: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?Mark Matthews8 May
Re: INDEXing on MERGED TABLESCharlie Thunderberg8 May
  • RE: INDEXing on MERGED TABLESJay Blanchard8 May
Re: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?Gelu8 May
Re: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?Frank Morton8 May