List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mark Matthews Date:May 7 2002 5:33pm
Subject:Re: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?
View as plain text
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Hatch" <rhatch@stripped>
To: <mysql@stripped>; <java@stripped>;
<plusplus@stripped>
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 10:50 AM
Subject: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?

> Hi all...
>
> I'm about to start heavy development of an application with MySQL at the
> backend.  However, I need some help
> deciding on what language to approach the project from.
>
> What are the ACTUAL speed comparisons - JDBC vs MySQL++  ??  How is the
> speed of ODBC (Win vs Linux?)?

They are not directly comparable. However I would venture that JDBC is
comparable to the C++ speed for most applications, as you will be waiting on
I/O. In my opinion, there are more class libraries out there for doing
web-based applications in Java, but more C++-based class libraries for doing
thick-client type applications, so that might skew what the appropriate
choice is.

    -Mark

> Are there any existing base classes representing MySQL's Server /
> Database / Table / Field / Tuple?   I need a solid
> object-oriented MySQL programming foundation before I start hacking at
> the project.   I would rather not reinvent the
> wheel if such classes already exist.

These classes for the most part come built-in with JDBC.

    -Mark

Thread
select largestlorin29 Mar
  • RE: select largestStefan Paletta29 Mar
    • Re: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?Joel Rees8 May
  • Re: select largestjkraai29 Mar
    • Re: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?Gelu7 May
    • Re: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?Mark Matthews7 May
    • Encrypted Way to connect to MysqlMarcel7 May
      • Re: Encrypted Way to connect to MysqlIgor Brynskich7 May
      • RE: Encrypted Way to connect to MysqlCal Evans8 May
  • Re: select largestSteve Edberg29 Mar
  • Re: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?Gelu7 May
  • Re: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?Mark Matthews7 May
  • Re: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?Gabriele Bartolini7 May
Re: select largestSteve Edberg29 Mar
RE: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?Paul Le7 May
Re: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?rup@bigpond.net.au8 May
Re: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?Gelu8 May
Re: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?Alec.Cawley8 May
Re: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?Mark Matthews8 May
Re: INDEXing on MERGED TABLESCharlie Thunderberg8 May
  • RE: INDEXing on MERGED TABLESJay Blanchard8 May
Re: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?Gelu8 May
Re: Help! Deciding on Java/C++ ?Frank Morton8 May