List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martin Ramsch Date:August 20 1999 1:32pm
Subject:Re: How to implement a mailing archive via mysql?
View as plain text
On Fri, 1999-08-20 05:47:06 +0300, Jani Kristian Tolonen wrote:
> Somebody tell me; if I send a mail to myself
> attaching a file to it, it works, if I send it
> to the list, it doesn't work ??? Aaaaaaaarggh!! :/

Fred Lindberg explained that to me recently:  the mailing list
software automatically discards some mail attachments.

I don't know the exact rules, but for example attachments of type
"text/html" get stripped out, as do binary attachments, and maybe such
that are too large.

I think, this is a great and very reasonable service to the mailing
list, protecting us from useless VCard, unreadable HTML mails, and
megabytes of stuff that's better served on a web server or FTP archive
instead of sending it thousandfold to all list members many of whom
will have no use for it ...

So IF one intends to send an attachment to the list, I guess it has to
be readble text (content-type text/plain) and should have a reasonable
size.

Regards,
  Martin
How to implement a mailing archive via mysql?liupc19 Aug
  • Re: How to implement a mailing archive via mysql?Thimble Smith19 Aug
  • Re: How to implement a mailing archive via mysql?Bill Gerrard19 Aug
    • Re: How to implement a mailing archive via mysql?Jani Tolonen20 Aug
Re: How to implement a mailing archive via mysql?Jani Kristian Tolonen20 Aug
  • Re: How to implement a mailing archive via mysql?Jani Tolonen20 Aug
  • Re: How to implement a mailing archive via mysql?Martin Ramsch20 Aug