List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:April 26 2002 2:22pm
Subject:Re: query returns a BLOB for no reason
View as plain text
At 10:12 -0400 4/26/02, Jerry Jackson wrote:
>I apologize if this is a repost, but I've been having problems with my mail
>servers and don't know for sure what has gone out or come in recently.
>
>I am hoping someone can shed light on this for me. We have a fairly simple
>query that is pulling data from varchar(255) and integer(11) fields and
>concatenating the field contents into a single results column. The problem
>is the resulting data is reported to be BLOB instead of the expected
>concatenated string....which in turn is causing our application to complain
>about an unsupported data type (our application is expecting a string value
>to be returned). It seems like an error in MySQL to us.

The maximum length of a CHAR or VARCHAR is 255 characters.  If you create
a string longer than that, it can't be CHAR or VARCHAR.  MySQL uses the next
smallest string type large enough to hold the result: BLOB.  (At least,
that's what I suspect is happening.)

Thread
Problem with JDBC2 driver across databasesAlan Jones25 Apr
  • Re: Problem with JDBC2 driver across databasesJeff Kilbride25 Apr
    • defaults(Edward Peloke)25 Apr
      • RE: defaultsGurhan Ozen25 Apr
    • RE: Problem with JDBC2 driver across databasesAlan Jones26 Apr
RE: Problem with JDBC2 driver across databasesMark Matthews25 Apr
  • RE: Problem with JDBC2 driver across databasesAlan Jones26 Apr
    • query returns a BLOB for no reasonJerry Jackson26 Apr
      • Re: query returns a BLOB for no reasonPaul DuBois26 Apr
      • Re: query returns a BLOB for no reasonVictoria Reznichenko26 Apr
        • RE: query returns a BLOB for no reasonJerry Jackson26 Apr