List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:April 26 2002 4:46am
Subject:RE: more on 1049 errors
View as plain text
At 23:12 -0500 4/25/02, Barry C. Hawkins wrote:
>Clay,
>	I am on remote assignment out of town, and I don't have my Mac
>or any of my MySQL books with me, so I am mostly going from memory.  If
>I am not mistaken, Paul Dubois mentions in his book that the
>mysql_pconnect() function is definitely preferred from a scalability
>standpoint, and if the problem lies with the handling of the Unix

I did indeed write that, but have since then come to the conclusion
that the benefit is somewhat negligible for MySQL, which has a very
low connection setup overhead.  Persistent connections would give
you more benefit for something like Oracle.

>socket, then I don't think that mysql_connect() will provide any
>advantage or resolution to your issue.
>	Again, I am going from memory, but I think there is a way to use
>TCP instead of Unix sockets as your mode of connection.  I can't
>remember if this is something that requires a recompile (which, if you
>are using a precompiled binary currently, would require some extra work)
>or not, but I am sure some of the more-experienced MySQL folk know by
>heart.
>	Perhaps trying this alternate connection mode would help narrow
>down the issue.  Also, are your servers Apache, and if so are they using
>the Apache MySQL functionality, or are they compiled to use the MySQL
>library of your MySQL installation?  This, too, may have an effect on
>your issue.
>
>Keep at it,
>
>--
>Barry C. Hawkins
>Systems Consultant
>All Things Computed
>barry.hawkins@stripped

Thread
Intermittent 1049 errorClay Loveless20 Apr
  • Re: Intermittent 1049 error in MySQL 3.23.49Clay Loveless23 Apr
    • how to get support help?Clay Loveless25 Apr
      • Re: how to get support help?Gerald Clark25 Apr
      • RE: how to get support help?Gurhan Ozen25 Apr
        • Re: how to get support help?Clay Loveless25 Apr
          • Re: how to get support help?Erik Price25 Apr
      • Re: how to get support help?Erik Price25 Apr
        • Re: how to get support help?Clay Loveless25 Apr
          • Re: how to get support help?Erik Price25 Apr
          • Re: how to get support help?Jim Philips25 Apr
          • Re: how to get support help?mitch25 Apr
          • Re: how to get support help?Paul DuBois26 Apr
Re: how to get support help?Mark Matthews25 Apr
  • Re: how to get support help?Clay Loveless26 Apr
  • Re: more on 1049 errorsClay Loveless26 Apr
    • RE: more on 1049 errorsBarry C. Hawkins26 Apr
      • Re: more on 1049 errorsClay Loveless26 Apr
        • RE: more on 1049 errorsBarry C. Hawkins26 Apr
          • Re: more on 1049 errorsClay Loveless26 Apr
        • Re: more on 1049 errorsPaul DuBois26 Apr
RE: more on 1049 errorsPaul DuBois26 Apr