List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:BD Date:April 12 2002 2:43pm
Subject:Re: is there a MySQL 'field contains' function
View as plain text
At 10:09 AM 4/12/2002, you wrote:
>Hello Everyone,
>         I've only just started trying to use MySQL so please forgive my
> ignorance if this sounds like a really basic question!
>         I am trying to search a text field within a table that contains
> several keywords; for example the column might be called
> "computer_description" and contain the values "i-mac blue 256MB 500MHz
> ...". Is there any way of putting together a query that says something like:
>SELECT * from table1 WHERE computer_description CONTAINS 'blue' ?
>or should I separate this column up into several others  type, colour,
>ram, processor etc...?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bill

Bill,
         See the MySQL manual on pattern matching.
http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Tutorial.html#Pattern_matching
         Since you are just starting out, I'd recommend reading as much of
the manual as possible. It is interesting and well written. You can
download it as a PDF if you like. Also get your hands on the book called
"MySQL" by Paul Dubois. It makes learning MySQL fun. :)

Brent