List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Vivek Khera Date:August 18 1999 5:52pm
Subject:Re: Basket o' questions/ideas on full-text-searching
View as plain text

>> On a related note... has anybody used/implemented a do-it-yourself
>> word searcher using SOUNDEX()?  Are SOUNDEX searches remotely
>> intuitive or more like "why the heck did THAT show up?!"

TS> I think they're usually pretty far off for most applications.  For
TS> some things (like looking up an address / name in a list of customers)
TS> it can be useful.  That's just my experience.

That could possibly be because the soundex algorithm is designed for
finding English surnames.  It doesn't work very well on other words or
names of different ethnicity.

What I'd really love to see is the Nextrieve
(http://www.nextrieve.com/) full text search engine with the
capability to read the TEXT fields directly from the ISAM file.  That
would be *way* cool.

Thread
Basket o' questions/ideas on full-text-searching(Don Philtrodt)18 Aug
  • Re: Basket o' questions/ideas on full-text-searchingThimble Smith18 Aug
    • Re: Basket o' questions/ideas on full-text-searchingVivek Khera18 Aug
      • Re: Basket o' questions/ideas on full-text-searching(Don Philtrodt)18 Aug