List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:April 4 2002 5:53pm
Subject:Re: Best hardware for a very large MySQL server? looking at x86
View as plain text
In the last episode (Apr 04), JW said:
> On Thursday 04 April 2002 09:48 am, you wrote:
> > I think you'll find that the RISC systems have fewer processors and
> > run at lower clockspeeds for the same total performance. 100k is a
> > HUGE amount of money to drop on a system. You could get 2 full
> > racks of high performance 1U systems, including everything, for
> > less, but whatever!
>
> ^^^^ did you mean to say "You could get 2 full racks of high
> performance 1U x86 systems" ? Or are you saying I should get several
> smaller systems either way?

Heh. plus the maintenence nightmare of managing 48 servers, 96 mirrored
boot disks, 96 power supplies, etc etc..

A comparable system to the Dell link you pasted is the Sun Fire v880.
For $120k, you get 8x750mhz Ultrasparc III CPUs, 32GB of RAM, and 12
36gb fibrechannel disks.  Those are 64-bit CPUs with 8MB of cache
(compared to the 32bit Xeons w/2M you'd get with the Dell), and should
easily outperform the Dell box.

http://store.sun.com/catalog/doc/BrowsePage.jhtml?cid=71713

--
	Dan "sql,query" Nelson
	dnelson@stripped

Thread
Best hardware for a very large MySQL server? looking at x86JW4 Apr
  • Re: Best hardware for a very large MySQL server? looking at x86Tod Harter4 Apr
Re: Best hardware for a very large MySQL server? looking at x86JW4 Apr
  • Re: Best hardware for a very large MySQL server? looking at x86Dan Nelson4 Apr
    • More then 2-way SMP, process threading & Sun Fire v880: Re: Best hardware for a very large MySQL server? looking at x86JW4 Apr
      • Re: More then 2-way SMP, process threading & Sun Fire v880: Re: Best hardware for a very large MySQL server? looking at x86Dan Nelson4 Apr