List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:JW Date:April 4 2002 3:49am
Subject:Best hardware for a very large MySQL server? looking at x86
View as plain text
Trying to send this again... SPAM filter messing with me...

"this is a query about what hardware might make for a really good sql server"

There :-p

>Hello,
>
>I need some advise.
>
>We are about to purchase a huge system for use as a DB/web application server (mostly
> DB).
>
>I'd like to point out that upper management (not me) has decided to do this... please
> don't tell me that I don't need something that big, or that I should use an x86 cluster -
> that's already out of the question, and out of my hands.
>
>The server they had already decided to get is a Dell PowerEdge 8450 with an external
> PowerVault storage array. See details here:
>PowerEdge 8450:
>http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.asp?customer_id=04&keycode=6W300&order_code=PE8450&cfgpg=1#updatepriceNS
>PowerVault 22xS
>http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.asp?order_code=PV22XS&customer_id=04&keycode=6W300&family_id=9171
>
>The server is an eight-way PIII Xeon , 32GB of RAM, price approx. $99,000 USD - let's
> say $100,000 In some configurations we've gotten higher.
>

>PowerVault approx. $7,500 USD for five-disk RAID 5, 36GB 15k SCSI disks.
>
>Management asked me and another tech. to figure out exactly what we need. We called
> Dell, and the Dell tech said this would be going head on with RISC based systems.
>
>Which got me to thinking.... I am personally not fond of x86, and don't want to pass
> up an opportunity to get a RISC system, like an Alpha, SPARC or PPC.
>
>Management has given me permission to make a comparison, I'm hoping someone here has
> experience with RISC systems.
>
>I'd _really_ like to have a RISC system.... but I've got no idea how to go about
> comparing them.
>
>For me it's like trying to compare apples and oranges when you don't even know what an
> orange is =)
>
>Does anyone here know how much an Alpha, SPARC, or PPC system that has comparable
> power would be?
>
>Or even _what_ systems are comparable? As I said, I've never dealt with anything
> besides x86 and Apple PPC before, so I'm venturing into totally new territory.
>
>If someone can give me a clue, I'd really appreciate it. Apparently we are mostly
> after processing power (CPU+RAM), my boss said we wouldn't even need a GigaBit NIC (though
> of course he may be wrong).
>
>I basically need to find a RISC system that produces the same amount of power for less
> $$$, or at LEAST more power for the same amount of $$$.
>
>It must run Linux of course, much preferably SuSE. I know SuSE Enterprise edition runs
> on SPARC, PPC ({i|p|z}Series and Itanium/IA64 ( I really don't want the latter, though if
> someone gives me a convincing argument, I'll consider it), and Professional 7.1 runs on
> Alpha, 7.3 runs on PowerPC
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks!

>Jonathan Wilson
>System Administrator
>Clickpatrol.com
> [...]

Thread
Best hardware for a very large MySQL server? looking at x86JW4 Apr
  • Re: Best hardware for a very large MySQL server? looking at x86Tod Harter4 Apr
Re: Best hardware for a very large MySQL server? looking at x86JW4 Apr
  • Re: Best hardware for a very large MySQL server? looking at x86Dan Nelson4 Apr
    • More then 2-way SMP, process threading & Sun Fire v880: Re: Best hardware for a very large MySQL server? looking at x86JW4 Apr
      • Re: More then 2-way SMP, process threading & Sun Fire v880: Re: Best hardware for a very large MySQL server? looking at x86Dan Nelson4 Apr