List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Francesca Shiekh Date:March 26 2002 8:41pm
Subject:RE: Impact of Free ORACLE
View as plain text
At 02:20 AM 3/26/2002 +0000, jwubbel@stripped wrote:
>Here is what the MadProfessor needs to do:
>
>1. Contact you local Oracle Marketing Rep. He will set
>you straight on licensing and pricing.
>
>2. Go read the Oracle9iAS Data Sheet. Notice that they
>use Apache and throw in couple of their own candy
>wrappers called "mods".
>
>Oracle9iAS does not include the Oracle Database. And oh
>yes, Wireless & Personalization enablement is not
>included. That is extra!
>
>I think the CD ROM is free! Tongue in cheek.

Usually there is a media charge so I don't think the CD ROM is free either! ;o)

>John Wubbel
>John Wubbel Consulting
> > Being a Oracle Database Admin myself, I have to say that MySQL is far
> > better, it is just as fast when configured right, just as flexiable when
> > the scripting is done right and the real icing on the cake is it is
> > HONESTLY, TRUTHFULLY, TOTALLY FREE!
> >
> > If I could I would make the place where I work switch over, I am a great
> > lover of Open Source, forget ASP, IIS, and all the other Micro$oft
> > gimmics that are opperable on one platform, these are just cheap stunt
> > marketing tools. Granted Oracle is available on multiple platforms. But
> > take it from me, once you have had a serious look at Oracle and you find
> > you have to set memory allocation after memory allocation for every
> > little piece of the DB, you soon lose the desire to set up additional
> > databases.
> >
> > As I said, I do this for a living, and if the MySQL market was as big
> > (moneywise) I would leave the Oracle realm in a heart beat.
> >
> > Besides, I recently read an article on a benchmark test of several of
> > the top leading databases conducted by Zif Davis, you know that large
> > computer magazine corp, those guys do not bow down to M$, Oracle or any
> > of the other big names, they report the facts as they find them,
> > regardless of the name.
> >
> > Read more about this here:
> > http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=708&a=23115,00.asp
> >
> > So to be honest, I (again let me point out that I KNOW what I am talking
> > about) see little or NO danger for MySQL v's Oracle, and as I just read
> > in a email sent to this list, Oracle chances is pricing repeatedly one
> > moment it was per seat, then it was per processing power of the system
> > and the story goes on.
> >
> > Oracle is NOT, nor will it be FREE any time soon, and I am talking
> > YEARS!
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> > -----------------------------
> >
> > Charles McGrotty
> > Intelliweb Technologies,
> >
> > You know you want IT?
> > Visit Intelliweb Technologies for
> > all your hosting requirements.
> >
> > http://www.intelliwebtech.com

Dropping tablesSteve Buehler25 Mar
  • Impact of Free ORACLEMadProfessor25 Mar
    • Re: Impact of Free ORACLEDan Nelson25 Mar
    • RE: Impact of Free ORACLERichard Forgo25 Mar
      • RE: Impact of Free ORACLEMadProfessor26 Mar
        • RE: Impact of Free ORACLETim Buchalka26 Mar
        • Re: Impact of Free ORACLEMichael Bacarella26 Mar
        • RE: Impact of Free ORACLEFrancesca Shiekh26 Mar
          • RE: Impact of Free ORACLECharles McGrotty26 Mar
    • Re: Impact of Free ORACLEFrancesca Shiekh25 Mar
    • Re: Impact of Free ORACLEGabriel Ricard26 Mar
    • Re: Impact of Free ORACLEJerry Winegarden26 Mar
  • hierarchical struture into mysqlDavid yahoo26 Mar
    • RE: hierarchical struture into mysqlKevin Fries27 Mar
  • Re: Dropping tablesPaul DuBois26 Mar
    • Re: Dropping tablesSteve Buehler26 Mar
      • Re: Dropping tablesPaul DuBois26 Mar
RE: Impact of Free ORACLEAaron Rutledge25 Mar
  • Re: Impact of Free ORACLEjay downs26 Mar
RE: Impact of Free ORACLERBRoa26 Mar
RE: Impact of Free ORACLEJoe Hoffman26 Mar
RE: Impact of Free ORACLEjwubbel26 Mar
  • RE: Impact of Free ORACLEMadProfessor26 Mar
    • RE: Impact of Free ORACLERon Jamison26 Mar
  • RE: Impact of Free ORACLEFrancesca Shiekh26 Mar
RE: Impact of Free ORACLERobert Cross26 Mar
RE: Impact of Free ORACLEJonathan Hilgeman26 Mar