List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:jwubbel Date:March 26 2002 2:20am
Subject:RE: Impact of Free ORACLE
View as plain text
Here is what the MadProfessor needs to do:

1. Contact you local Oracle Marketing Rep. He will set
you straight on licensing and pricing.

2. Go read the Oracle9iAS Data Sheet. Notice that they
use Apache and throw in couple of their own candy
wrappers called "mods".

Oracle9iAS does not include the Oracle Database. And oh
yes, Wireless & Personalization enablement is not
included. That is extra!

I think the CD ROM is free! Tongue in cheek.

John Wubbel
John Wubbel Consulting
> Being a Oracle Database Admin myself, I have to say that MySQL is far
> better, it is just as fast when configured right, just as flexiable when
> the scripting is done right and the real icing on the cake is it is
> HONESTLY, TRUTHFULLY, TOTALLY FREE!
>
> If I could I would make the place where I work switch over, I am a great
> lover of Open Source, forget ASP, IIS, and all the other Micro$oft
> gimmics that are opperable on one platform, these are just cheap stunt
> marketing tools. Granted Oracle is available on multiple platforms. But
> take it from me, once you have had a serious look at Oracle and you find
> you have to set memory allocation after memory allocation for every
> little piece of the DB, you soon lose the desire to set up additional
> databases.
>
> As I said, I do this for a living, and if the MySQL market was as big
> (moneywise) I would leave the Oracle realm in a heart beat.
>
> Besides, I recently read an article on a benchmark test of several of
> the top leading databases conducted by Zif Davis, you know that large
> computer magazine corp, those guys do not bow down to M$, Oracle or any
> of the other big names, they report the facts as they find them,
> regardless of the name.
>
> Read more about this here:
> http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=708&a=23115,00.asp
>
> So to be honest, I (again let me point out that I KNOW what I am talking
> about) see little or NO danger for MySQL v's Oracle, and as I just read
> in a email sent to this list, Oracle chances is pricing repeatedly one
> moment it was per seat, then it was per processing power of the system
> and the story goes on.
>
> Oracle is NOT, nor will it be FREE any time soon, and I am talking
> YEARS!
>
> Regards,
>

> -----------------------------
>
> Charles McGrotty
> Intelliweb Technologies,
>
> You know you want IT?
> Visit Intelliweb Technologies for
> all your hosting requirements.
>
> http://www.intelliwebtech.com

Dropping tablesSteve Buehler25 Mar
  • Impact of Free ORACLEMadProfessor25 Mar
    • Re: Impact of Free ORACLEDan Nelson25 Mar
    • RE: Impact of Free ORACLERichard Forgo25 Mar
      • RE: Impact of Free ORACLEMadProfessor26 Mar
        • RE: Impact of Free ORACLETim Buchalka26 Mar
        • Re: Impact of Free ORACLEMichael Bacarella26 Mar
        • RE: Impact of Free ORACLEFrancesca Shiekh26 Mar
          • RE: Impact of Free ORACLECharles McGrotty26 Mar
    • Re: Impact of Free ORACLEFrancesca Shiekh25 Mar
    • Re: Impact of Free ORACLEGabriel Ricard26 Mar
    • Re: Impact of Free ORACLEJerry Winegarden26 Mar
  • hierarchical struture into mysqlDavid yahoo26 Mar
    • RE: hierarchical struture into mysqlKevin Fries27 Mar
  • Re: Dropping tablesPaul DuBois26 Mar
    • Re: Dropping tablesSteve Buehler26 Mar
      • Re: Dropping tablesPaul DuBois26 Mar
RE: Impact of Free ORACLEAaron Rutledge25 Mar
  • Re: Impact of Free ORACLEjay downs26 Mar
RE: Impact of Free ORACLERBRoa26 Mar
RE: Impact of Free ORACLEJoe Hoffman26 Mar
RE: Impact of Free ORACLEjwubbel26 Mar
  • RE: Impact of Free ORACLEMadProfessor26 Mar
    • RE: Impact of Free ORACLERon Jamison26 Mar
  • RE: Impact of Free ORACLEFrancesca Shiekh26 Mar
RE: Impact of Free ORACLERobert Cross26 Mar
RE: Impact of Free ORACLEJonathan Hilgeman26 Mar