List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Charles McGrotty Date:March 26 2002 12:39am
Subject:RE: Impact of Free ORACLE
View as plain text
Being a Oracle Database Admin myself, I have to say that MySQL is far
better, it is just as fast when configured right, just as flexiable when
the scripting is done right and the real icing on the cake is it is
HONESTLY, TRUTHFULLY, TOTALLY FREE!

If I could I would make the place where I work switch over, I am a great
lover of Open Source, forget ASP, IIS, and all the other Micro$oft
gimmics that are opperable on one platform, these are just cheap stunt
marketing tools. Granted Oracle is available on multiple platforms. But
take it from me, once you have had a serious look at Oracle and you find
you have to set memory allocation after memory allocation for every
little piece of the DB, you soon lose the desire to set up additional
databases.

As I said, I do this for a living, and if the MySQL market was as big
(moneywise) I would leave the Oracle realm in a heart beat.

Besides, I recently read an article on a benchmark test of several of
the top leading databases conducted by Zif Davis, you know that large
computer magazine corp, those guys do not bow down to M$, Oracle or any
of the other big names, they report the facts as they find them,
regardless of the name.

Read more about this here:
http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=708&a=23115,00.asp

So to be honest, I (again let me point out that I KNOW what I am talking
about) see little or NO danger for MySQL v's Oracle, and as I just read
in a email sent to this list, Oracle chances is pricing repeatedly one
moment it was per seat, then it was per processing power of the system
and the story goes on.

Oracle is NOT, nor will it be FREE any time soon, and I am talking
YEARS!

Regards,

Charles McGrotty
Intelliweb Technologies,