List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Francesca Shiekh Date:March 25 2002 11:56pm
Subject:RE: Impact of Free ORACLE
View as plain text
At 05:29 PM 3/25/2002 -0600, MadProfessor wrote:
>Here's a couple I've dug up:
>
>http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020117/sfth035_1.html
>http://www.devx.com/judgingjava/articles/javaone/report2.asp (Flat out
>SAYS ORACLE IS FREE!)

I took a quick look at this site and I don't see anything that says the
database is free...
I can find Oracle 9iAS downloadable for free... that's the Application
Server, you then need the Database to go with it...

Moreover, I wouldn't trust using it for production... Oracle has a history
of changing the pricing on people and claiming that you have to pay more
money if you want to continue using their product because the licensing
changed...

They may give it to you free this year, next year you'll find yourself with
a large bill!

Just read these:
http://www.idg.net.nz/pressroom.nsf/UNID/8DCAE02D7BD89FD6CC256B8100822FB0!opendocument
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/175426.html
http://www.crmdaily.com/perl/story/16852.html
http://news.com.com/2100-1001-864135.html

There are many more...

I think MySql is here to stay even if Larry should decide to give it all
away for free... database, applications etc. There are always the
consulting and support fees, and anyone who worked with Oracle Apps knows
you can't do a damn thing without support! ..And if you want to take less
than 5 years to implement the system you better have consultants on board
and a staff of 2 people per module in house!

$0.02 as someone else put it...

Francesca

>And of course, let's not forget
>http://www.oracle.com (Just go to downloads, register your info and try
>downloading ANYTHING)
>

>I PROMISE YOU, oh non believers, that you'll believe me after you read
>those articles, and then try downloading 9i from Oracle. You don't even
>have to download it, just start it and watch it go!
>Cheers,
>VJ MPZ

Dropping tablesSteve Buehler25 Mar
  • Impact of Free ORACLEMadProfessor25 Mar
    • Re: Impact of Free ORACLEDan Nelson25 Mar
    • RE: Impact of Free ORACLERichard Forgo25 Mar
      • RE: Impact of Free ORACLEMadProfessor26 Mar
        • RE: Impact of Free ORACLETim Buchalka26 Mar
        • Re: Impact of Free ORACLEMichael Bacarella26 Mar
        • RE: Impact of Free ORACLEFrancesca Shiekh26 Mar
          • RE: Impact of Free ORACLECharles McGrotty26 Mar
    • Re: Impact of Free ORACLEFrancesca Shiekh25 Mar
    • Re: Impact of Free ORACLEGabriel Ricard26 Mar
    • Re: Impact of Free ORACLEJerry Winegarden26 Mar
  • hierarchical struture into mysqlDavid yahoo26 Mar
    • RE: hierarchical struture into mysqlKevin Fries27 Mar
  • Re: Dropping tablesPaul DuBois26 Mar
    • Re: Dropping tablesSteve Buehler26 Mar
      • Re: Dropping tablesPaul DuBois26 Mar
RE: Impact of Free ORACLEAaron Rutledge25 Mar
  • Re: Impact of Free ORACLEjay downs26 Mar
RE: Impact of Free ORACLERBRoa26 Mar
RE: Impact of Free ORACLEJoe Hoffman26 Mar
RE: Impact of Free ORACLEjwubbel26 Mar
  • RE: Impact of Free ORACLEMadProfessor26 Mar
    • RE: Impact of Free ORACLERon Jamison26 Mar
  • RE: Impact of Free ORACLEFrancesca Shiekh26 Mar
RE: Impact of Free ORACLERobert Cross26 Mar
RE: Impact of Free ORACLEJonathan Hilgeman26 Mar