List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:March 25 2002 7:51pm
Subject:RE: Problem loading PC DB into Solaris
View as plain text
At 14:34 -0500 3/25/02, Alexander, Chris wrote:
>Ack!!!!
>
>Case sensitivity of table names gets screwed up when doing stuff with
>PHP/MySQL on Windows!! (Windows 95 in this case - yes, more
>paleo-computing!).
>
>I am using this set of canned scripts: phpslice v 0.2.0. The scripts have
>been installed successfully in multiple places on UNIX, been using it with
>success. The code in phpslice refers to tables with mixed case and the
>database creation scripts use mixed case names to create the tables. Works
>fine.
>
>The tables ended up being created in all low case when input through
>mysql.exe < createtables.sql. The weird part is that the scripts worked even
>though they were referencing mixed case table names that did not exist.
>Sounds like a windows thing for sure.
>
>Doing an export of the data to move to Solaris, wrote the tables all out in
>low case as the tables all existed with low case names at that point. So
>phpMyAdmin doesn't know any better at that point.
>
>I guess word to the wise, when moving back and forth between Windows and
>*NIX pay attention to the case of tables and what not in addition to the
>normal CF/LF issues.

That's one reason I always use lowercase for database and table names.

This issue also comes up when using Mac OS X, which is UNIX, but is built
on top of the non-case-sensitive Mac OS file system.

Thread
Problem loading PC DB into SolarisChris Alexander25 Mar
  • Re: Problem loading PC DB into SolarisScott Helms25 Mar
RE: Problem loading PC DB into SolarisChris Alexander25 Mar
  • Re: Problem loading PC DB into SolarisScott Helms25 Mar
RE: Problem loading PC DB into SolarisChris Alexander25 Mar
  • Re: Problem loading PC DB into SolarisScott Helms25 Mar
RE: Problem loading PC DB into SolarisChris Alexander25 Mar
  • RE: Problem loading PC DB into SolarisPaul DuBois25 Mar