List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Adam Powell Date:March 26 1999 3:44pm
Subject:Optimisation
View as plain text
Hi, I am currently in the process of upgrading our database server, and I
would appreciate some advice.  We run a banner ad network serving roughly 3
million banners a day, our system comprises of 3 Sun Ultra 5s (270 Mhz)
running as web servers, and an Ultra 5 as a DB server running mySQL 3.22.20.
All machines have 512 Meg RAM.

However the problem is that the number of banners we need to serve is going
up incredibly, and we need to upgrade.  We were serving about 180 banners
per second, and each of these banners needs about 5 requests from the
database.  At peak times the DB load is about 70 (baaad), and the banners
are slow.

We have just upgraded to a Sun Enterprise 450 w/1 GIG RAM, 9.1 MB SCUSI and
a dual 300 RISC processor, which we hope is going to solve the problem for a
long time, however I need to be sure that it is not a problem with the
database/buffers/OS etc..  We need to add more targeting to the banners,
running more and more SELECTs.

My question is what are the most important factors influencing a system such
as ours, why the hell is it so slow, and for a load such as this, do the
buffers below look correct?  Any advice on the problem at all would be
appreciated!  I can provide more information if anybody requests it.

Sincerely,
Adam

+----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
-------------------------+

+----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
-------------------------+
| back_log                   | 20
|
| connect_timeout            | 5

| basedir                    |
/export/home/mysql-3.22.20a-sun-solaris2.6-sparc/                     |
| datadir                    | /export/home/mysql/data/
|
| delayed_insert_limit       | 100
|
| delayed_insert_timeout     | 300
|
| delayed_queue_size         | 1000
|
| join_buffer                | 10481664
|
| flush_time                 | 0
|
| key_buffer                 | 20967424

| language                   |
/export/home/mysql-3.22.20a-sun-solaris2.6-sparc/share/mysql/english/ |
| log                        | OFF
|
| log_update                 | OFF
|
| long_query_time            | 10
|
| low_priority_updates       | OFF
|
| max_allowed_packet         | 1048576
|
| max_connections            | 360
|
| max_connect_errors         | 10
|
| max_delayed_insert_threads | 20
|
| max_join_size              | 4294967295
|
| max_sort_length            | 1024
|
| net_buffer_length          | 16384
|
| port                       | 3306
|
| protocol-version           | 10
|
| record_buffer              | 20967424
|
| skip_locking               | ON
|
| socket                     | /tmp/mysql.sock
|
| sort_buffer                | 5242872
|
| table_cache                | 98
|
| thread_stack               | 65536
|
| tmp_table_size             | 10485752