List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martin Ramsch Date:August 16 1999 6:15pm
Subject:full quotes in replies (was: book)
View as plain text
Hi all,

just a short note on the style of quote in replies.

Especially on this MySQL mailing list, I very often see a full quote
of the replied-to article (sometimes even hundreds of lines) with only
some few (or even a single line) of new text - sometimes not even
related to the replied-to article.

As a very recent example, Richard Reina wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance, but what is IMNSHO?
>
> Derick H Siddoway wrote:
> [follow by all 124 lines of what Derick had written]

I personally don't care much about the size of emails and my
bandwidth, as long as I'm at university.  But nonetheless, this seems
to be a waste of space, timewidth, AND reader's time (who has to scan
the whole article, because there might be some more new text hidden
somewhere ...).

In many cases, quoting the entire replied-to article may have sense,
to preserve the context and to make the answer easier to understand.
But Richard's question for example actually would've been
understandable without _any_ context!

So what's this mail all about?

IMHO, it's better to shorten quotes reasonably to only these parts,
that are neceassary to understand the reply!everything

Regards,
  Martin

PS: IMHO = in my humble opinion
    IMNSHO = in my not so huble opinion
bookDerick H Siddoway16 Aug
  • Re: bookBlain Nelson16 Aug
  • Re: bookAllen Carpenter16 Aug
Re: bookPaul DuBois16 Aug
  • Re: bookRandy Jay Yarger16 Aug
Re: bookPaul Wagorn16 Aug
Re: bookDerick H Siddoway16 Aug
  • Re: bookRichard Reina16 Aug
    • full quotes in replies (was: book)Martin Ramsch16 Aug
  • Re: bookBob Worthy16 Aug
  • Re: full quotes in replies (was: book)Carsten H. Pedersen17 Aug
    • Re: full quotes in replies (was: book)Chris Trown17 Aug
Re: bookPaul DuBois16 Aug
  • Re: bookRandy Jay Yarger16 Aug
    • Re: booked16 Aug
      • Re: bookPaul DuBois16 Aug