List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:August 16 1999 3:20pm
Subject:Re: Why Microsoft uses MySQL (was: hang on disk full)
View as plain text
I guess I got this thing started, so now I'd like to end it.

Recap: a person from Microsoft raised a question about the possibility
of alternate methods of handling disk full conditions.  In his description
of the scenario, mention was made of transactions.

> It's great to know that it is doable. The scenario is that
> a user has 20 MB quota disk space with a MySQL database on
> it. When the disk is full in some action query, we want to
> roll back all changes done by this action query and return
> a disk full error code. We definitely need help from you to
> achieve this. (We need to do some kind of transaction here)

Sinisa replied with some ways about what could be done to help
accomplish the goal.  I keyed in on the thing about transactions
and took it to mean that Microsoft was getting special treatment.

I also was probably quick to jump the gun because the question
originated from Microsoft, but I do think the question would
have been valid had it come from anywhere.

Nevertheless, my question was misdirected. It seemed to me that when
questions about transactions have been raised in the past, the
answer is "not supported".  I misinterpreted Sinisa's answer as
being different than that, but he was just pointing out ways in which
the disk full condition could be dealt with, not how to support
transactions.  I misinterpreted his response; that was my mistake.

My intent in asking the question was not to start a flame war.  Nor was
it to question whether Microsoft should receive support the same
as anyone else - or even, in this case, better than most MySQL
users, because Microsoft *does* have a support number, i.e., they
are paying TcX to use MySQL.  I think we can all appreciate the
irony in that.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread